Monday, January 28, 2013

Hanson defeats Gustafsson on first playoff hole


Hanson defeats Gustafsson on first playoff hole

Updated: April 17, 2005, 2:40 PM ET
Associated Press
SAN ROQUE, Spain -- Peter Hanson won the Spanish Open on Sunday, defeating Swedish countryman Peter Gustafsson with a par on the first playoff hole.
Gustafsson shot a 6-under-par 66 to overtake Hanson, the third-round leader, and finish regulation at 8-under 280. Hanson closed with a 71.
Hanson missed the green on the playoff hole, the 18th, but chipped to about 1 foot. Gustaffson also missed the green and two-putted.
"I am really happy with how I played today with the pressure of coming out with the lead," Hanson said after his first victory on the European Tour. "Apart from a couple bad club selections, I don't think I missed a shot.
"It is always hard to get your first win and, as I haven't been in this position before, to pull it off on my first time feels great."
Ireland's Peter Lawrie birdied the last two holes for a 69 and shared third place at 283 with South Africa's Hennie Otto, who birdied the last hole for a 72.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press

No comments: